prize to Leonard Herzenberg

Alice L. Givan Alice.L.Givan at Dartmouth.EDU
Fri Jun 9 12:12:09 EDT 2006

Hello Flowers,
Many of us have lamented that there has been no awarding of a Nobel Prize to those who
developed the first flow cytometers.  A step in the right direction has just been taken
by the Inamori Foundation in Japan,  which awards prizes "for lifetime achievement, to
individuals and groups worldwide who have contributed significantly to humankind's
betterment."

It has just been announced that Leonard Herzenberg will receive one of this year's prizes
"for his outstanding contributions to life sciences and clinical medicine through his
work in developing the fluorescence activated cell sorter."

The prize includes a nice sum of money, a diploma, and a 20-karat gold ring.  It is good
to hear that others realize what we all know:  flow cytometers are terrific.

 Dr. Herzenberg deserves our congratulations.

Alice

Alice L. Givan, Director
Englert Cell Analysis Laboratory
of the Norris Cotton Cancer Center