QDot Phenomenon

Paul Champoux champ004 at umn.edu
Mon Feb 27 14:44:51 EST 2006

Hello all,

I recently ran some SA-QDots on our LSR 2 with a 50mW Violet 405
laser and saw a strange phenomenon. I was displaying a bi-exponential
histogram of the detector of interest and saw a large number of
events showing up in the area below zero. However, after 5 seconds or
so, these events slowly shifted above zero and came into alignment
with the negative population.
We were staining normal mouse lymph node cells for CD4 with QDots
525, 565,585, 605,655 and 705(the sampler kit available from the
vendor). This phenomenon occurred in all the QDot samples. The
emission filters used were a mixture of QDot specific filters and
stock filters from the LSR 2 supply.

Has anyone else noticed this while running any QDot stained samples?

Paul E. Champoux
Research Services Coordinator
Center for Immunology
University of Minnesota