platelet cloud Craig.Turner at
Wed Aug 30 04:11:39 EDT 2006

Sounds very much like platelet activation to me. I would try filtering
buffers, but it is possible that whatever buffer X is will cause platelet
activation, but that is only speculation since we don't know what is in it.

Craig Turner

-----Original Message-----
From: Lavergne Sidonie [mailto:sidoniel at]
Sent: 28 August 2006 16:18
To: cyto-inbox
Subject: platelet cloud

Good morning everybody,

I have a (potentially naive) question...

I used flow cytometry on platelets.
On the SSC/FSC graph, my platelets + PBS formed a nice
round tight cloud in the lower left corner.
Whe I incubated the platelets with the buffer X, the cloud
became pointy towards the upper right corner.
It therefore seems like my buffer X triggered an increase
in size and granularity in a subpopulation of platelets.

Could it be something else than activation?

I am not working on platelet activation at all. So I did
not stain for it. I was just wondering whether these kind
of changes on the SSC/FSC graph alone could be considered
pathognomonic for platelet activation.

If you have any book chapter or articles about this matter,
feel free to refer me to them.

Sidonie Lavergne, DVM
University of Wisconsin
School of Veterinary Medicine
2015 Linden Dr W
Madison, WI 53706

The National Blood Service

Do something amazing today - Give Blood.

Please call 0845 7 711 711.

You can visit us at, or on BBC2,
Ceefax page 465.

The National Blood Service is part of NHS Blood and

The views expressed in this e-mail are those of the
sender, and not necessarily those of the National Blood

This text confirms that this e-mail message and its
attachments have been swept for the presence of
computer viruses by the National Blood Service,
however we cannot guarantee that they are virus free.

All e-mails and their attachments to and from the domain may be archived, and their contents