PFA fixation and dead cells

Ian Titley Ian.Titley at
Mon Oct 24 10:27:58 EST 2005

Hi Paolo

Never used them but Invitrogen/Molecular probes have a series of "LIVE/DEAD® Fixable"
dyes in different colours, address for the green variant below:

They claim on the website that the differential (50x) is maintained between "live and
dead" cells after formaldehyde fixation.

Might be worth a peek.

Best wishes

Ian Titley PhD
Section of Haemato-oncology
Institute of Cancer Research
237 Fulham Road
London UK SW3 6JB

Tel +44 (0)20 7352 8133
Fax +44 (0)20 7352 3299

>>> paolo <paolo+ at> 21/10/2005 13:41:25 >>>
Dear Fellow Flowers,

I work with HIV infected cultures and I need to determine apoptotic vs live vs dead
cells. I use an Coulter XL with a single laser (488nm) and I have to fix cells with 1%
PFA as they are loaded with HIV. If I use PI or 7AAD all cells will turn dead after
fixation. Can anyone suggest alternatives to these dyes? I already tried EMA, but perhaps
there something else out there that does not require the extra step with a light

Thanks in advance for all your help.
st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }============================Aut viam inveniam aut
faciam============================Paolo Piazza, PhDOFFICE: 604 Parran Halltel (412) 383 -
LABORATORY: 529 Parran Halltel: (412) 648 - 2940Infectious Diseases and MicrobiologyGSPH
- University of Pittsburgh130 Desoto Street15261 Pittsburgh PAfax (412) 624 - 4953e-mail
paolo at