Parametric statistics for flow

Mr Simon Corrie s369338 at student.uq.edu.au
Mon Nov 28 15:14:40 EST 2005

Hi folks

I am analysing some histogram data for hit detection assays on beads
and am looking for comments about the analysis. To perform hypothesis
or inference tests on the histogram data, I must somehow suggest (in a
way that is at LEAST semi-quantitative) that my data correlates with a
parametric distribution - eg normal, exponential, weibull, etc etc. I
am well aware that a simple flow histogram is multivariate - ie the
fluorescence response is probably based on several things including
size, biomolecule desnity on the beads, etc etc. However, at large
sample sizes, such data MUST approach some limiting distribution.

However, I come up against the problem that my data looks great when
plotted in a Quantile/quantile plot (against theoretical NORMAL
quantiles) but will perform poorly in statistical tests for "normality"
such as kolmogorov-smirnov and shapiro-wilkes tests. I always keep the
sample size >500. Are such tests necessary for convincing people about
the data? How about just reporting the p-values for the KS tests -
certainly not >90%, but always between 10 and 100%.

It seems that most people simply "assume" that the data "should" be
somewhat normal and then go ahead and do t-tests, which will, I
suppose, soak up some error, but still not quite sure how to convince
myself that such methods are viable. If any statistically-minded people
have some opinions, please let me know. I am keen to do this analysis
properly and publish the findings - however good or bad they are ;)

Regards

Simon Corrie