Postdoctoral Position! Fun! Excitement! ...and science...

J.Paul Robinson jpr at flowcyt.cyto.purdue.edu
Mon Nov 21 22:54:51 EST 2005

Since this original message has now generated several responses, I will copy my
private message that I sent to the first individual who questioned our policy to
the list

---here was my response with some modifications and additions for the general
audience---

Our rules are well thought through. Many have complained when we allow large
attachments to go our. Sometimes they are megabytes in size. (Note - we have not
allowed attachments to be sent out with messages for about 3 years now - all
attachments are hyperlinked so that your mailboxes don't get filled with large
attachments.....and you need to remember, that our server has to send out over
3000 messages each time, and it literally can take hours to send out a huge
number of large files). The cytometry list is not automated. I know, there are
many fine fully automated lists, but this is not. It runs the old fashioned way
- personal attention. We remove spam, advertising, personal messages from people
accidentally telling the world that they think a particular sales person is an
idiot...., all attachments, etc etc etc... Automated systems can't do that and
we have not gone that way ....yet.

If someone is not interested in going to a hyperlinked address they are not very
interested in getting a job. Its not a separate forum as was stated in one
message, it's simply posted on our Jobs web page and all you have to do is click
a weblink - its probably easier than clicking on the file and having to open
word!!! you dont even have to open a new program ...so I dont understand what
the concern is. This has been the case for over 3 years. We won't change this
policy since its clearly a better alternative to sending out vast numbers of
attachments. What many of you don't realize, is that we sometimes get
attachments that are 10, 20 -50 megabytes in size....and if we sent these out,
you would all revolt!! The solution is to not send any out but hyperlink them to
an easily click able file....now what could be more convenient....???

Our constant goal is to keep the list clean, spam free, as free from advertising
as possible, and relatively small size.

Paul robinson
Purdue Cytometry List

--