CD8-Tetramer interference

rozenkov@netscape.net rozenkov at netscape.net
Sun Nov 20 20:47:54 EST 2005

Dear Joanne,

If your colleague is concerned about possible effect of CD8 on subsequent tetramer binding, an option could be to negatively sort CD8 cells using a mixture of antibodies CD4, CD19, CD13, etc. Another, electronical option of CD8 sorting that can reduce listmode file size and facilitate file manipulation and analysis is "live gating" when only events from a designated gate (e.g., CD8+) are saved into a lmd file.

In theory, CD8 can sterically interfere with tetramer binding, which may be different for different CD8 clones depending on the binding sites, and tetramer manufacturers recommend specific clones that can be used with tetramers. These CD8 antibodies are recommended for simultaneous staining with tetramers, so there should not be a problem with CD8 staining before sorting (in theory).

However, in our experience, we had difficulties with co-staining with tetramers and CD8, and we could demonstrate that using tetramer manufacturer's recommended and supplied CD8 and their standard procedure, CD8 antibodies reduced tetramer staining intensity (MFC) of tetramer positive cells and control T cell lines 2-5 times, so making it undistinguishable.

I think it would be interesting and of use to many of us to hear from other flow colleagues of their experience and solutions regarding tetramer-CD8 staining.

Kind regards.

Vladislav Rozenkov, M.D., Ph.D.
Centre for Immune and Targeted Therapy
Division of Medicine