Postdoctoral Position! Fun! Excitement! ...and science...

Jochen Barths jbarths at titus.u-strasbg.fr
Mon Nov 21 05:56:31 EST 2005

http://www.cyto.purdue.edu/flowcyt/jobs.htm ]
> [ Steve Kelley
  ]

David Chambers

davidc at ccmi.salk.edu

wrote:

I'm not sure that's such a good thing.	Okay, force job seekers to look
at a bulletin board.  However, what of those who might like to know of
these positions via the Flow mailing list and don't regularly go out of
their way to connect to and check a separate forum?  I'm speaking of
those who may see a job posting on the Flow mailing list and know
someone who is right for that job.  It strikes me that the separate
forum dilutes the target audience and hence is not such a good deal for
the advertisers. (?zers?)

/my $0.02

- David

Very good point!

One of the great advantages of this list is the broad spectrum of topics
covered. We probably all find every day some messages on the list, which
are not directly related to our field of interest. But WE decide for
ourselves, if we want to read them for general interest or to skip them.
I don't like the idea, of someone else deciding for me what I am
supposed to read on this list or not.

And job postings are also useful for those, who are not actually looking
for a job, but want to be aware of what is going on in the field beyond
pure scientific exchange.

You also would (hopefully) not stop posting local meeting announcements,
although they concern only a very small fraction of the list-members or
create specific sub-lists: Clinical, Research, Image, Flow.....

I would be glad, if you gave it a second thought.

Best regards

Jochen