Mitochondria and Cell Cycle

Dan Rosson Ph.D. Dan.Rosson at mail.jci.tju.edu
Thu Nov 17 11:50:20 EST 2005

Dear Flowlosophers:

I have a user that has been told by his grant reviewer to measure
mitochondria as a function of cell cycle position. Someone suggested using
Mito Red and YOYO-1. That didn't work out to well for two reasons: the cell
cycle profile looked like garbage and while YOYO has an emission maximum
around 510nM, it is so broad and intense it shows up in all channels
including 675nM where its still impossible to compensate. The best
suggestion I could come up with was to use formaldehyde-fixed cells with PI
for cell cycle and to find an antibody to a mitochondrial protein (e.g.
cytochrome c) and use FITC to detect that. Does anybody have any better
suggestions?

Dan Rosson PhD
Thomas Jefferson University Flow Jock