Whatever happened to the...biosafety guidelines

David Coder d_coder at MSN.com
Fri Nov 11 19:37:23 EST 2005

The links that were on the ISAC website are below (the web page is
attached). The most recent is the CDC Biosafety in Microbiological and
Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL) 4th Edition. Note the chapters on risk
assessment and biosafety level criteria. They will help you define
precautions required or recommended for work with various agents in your
laboratory.

Biosafety Guidelines and Links to Information on the Internet

Many of the biological safety issues are addressed in the links below. In
particular, the 4th edition of Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical
Laboratories addresses biological, chemical, as well as radiological safety
concerns in the laboratory. There is also a section for risk assessment
regarding pathogens.

(Note: Some of the articles below are available from the publisher only as
PDF files and are readable only with the Acrobat reader that is a plug-in
for Netscape or Internet explorer.  See your web browser information for
more details, or the Adobe Acrobat
<http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/acrobat/main.html>  website.)

Introduction
<http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext?ID=48615&PLACEBO=IE.pdf
>  to the Biosafety Guidelines for the Sorting of Unfixed Cells. Cytometry
28: 97-98 (1997)
PDF Full Text (Size: 17K);

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext?ID=48615&amp;PLACEBO=IE.
pdf

 Abstract <http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract?ID=48615>
only

Biosafety
<http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext?ID=48619&PLACEBO=IE.pdf
>  Guidelines for the sorting of Unfixed Cells. Cytometry 28: 99-117, (1997)
<http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext?ID=48615&PLACEBO=IE.pdf
>  PDF Full Text (Size: 398K);
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext?ID=48619&amp;PLACEBO=IE.
pdf
Abstract <http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract?ID=48619>
only

OSHA <http://www.osha-slc.gov/SLTC/bloodbornepathogens/index.html>
Bloodborne Pathogens  (extensive list of guidance documents and information)

http://www.osha-slc.gov/SLTC/bloodbornepathogens/index.html

 <http://www.cdc.gov/od/ohs/biosfty/biosfty.htm> CDC Office of Health and
Safety: Biosafety (another extensive list of reference documents and
standards; links to Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories
(BMBL) 4th Edition in English and Spanish)

http://www.cdc.gov/od/ohs/biosfty/biosfty.htm

Laser Institute of America <http://www.laserinstitute.org>

http://www.laserinstitute.org

David M Coder, Ph.D.