oxidative stress, HIV

J Thompson jamest at mail.MED.UPENN.EDU
Fri Nov 11 16:38:58 EST 2005

At 6:02 PM +0100 11/10/05, Domenico Marzulli wrote:
>I want to determine oxidative stress in HIV positive lymphocytes or
>mtDNA mitochondria damage.
>does anyone have a good assay they'd like to recommend?

Well, to take your questions in reverse order:

1) Do you want to assess oxidative damage to mtDNA, or loss of
mitochondrial membrane potential? I am not aware (but would be
delighted to learn) of any flow-based methods to assess mtDNA. There
are a number of different agents which can allow assessments of
mitochondrial membrane potential in flow. The most popular choice
appears to be JC-1, but personally prefer TMRE as it only uses one
channel, allowing more flexibility with any cell surface staining.

2) Oxidative stress: do you mean direct measurement of ROS? In this
area, I have been disappointed with the available agents, at least in
my experimental system. As above, I'm very eager to hear of any
different experiences.

Hope that helps...			-J
--
J Thompson, M.D.
jamest at mail.med.upenn.edu
Research Associate, Hematology-Oncology Division
733 BRB II/III
University of Pennsylvania
421 Curie Blvd.
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 573-7617	 lab (dial 2 for my voicemail box)
(215) 573-7049	 fax
(215) 524-8970	 pager