Biotin for red blood cells labeling

Losyev, Grigoriy Grigoriy.Losyev at childrens.harvard.edu
Fri Nov 4 12:37:37 EST 2005

Dear Flowers

Our current project is labeling RBCs with 1.5 mg NHS PEO4 biotin
injected retro-orbitally in 3 doses over 24 hours and then watching RBC
aging through time.

After labeling RBCs in mouse's blood stream we have drawn blood twice a
week and stain RBCs with Alexa 488 SA.	Then we pass cells trough
flowcytometer. We are measuring percent of stained cells. During the
time course it goes down.

My question is related to biotin quality. We never were able to label
90% of RBC at the initial point. Does it depend on biotin? Is there a
better grade for biotin?

Could somebody suggest what could improve initial labeling of RBCs?

Thanks

Grigoriy Losyev

Division of Hematology/Oncology
Flow Cytometry