FACS-software

Robert C. Leif rleif at rleif.com
Fri Nov 4 04:04:34 EST 2005

Hello Dave,

You are correct about "none of the third party software vendors have become
multi-millionaires off of selling flow software."  However, one of the
problems is that you or the end-user must first decode FCS.  In the case of
imaging, the Open Microscopy Environment (http://www.openmicroscopy.org/ )
has employed XML and other off the shelf technologies to create software
with a sufficiently low expense that they are giving it away.  One very
important component of OME environment is the interface to Matlab
(http://www.mathworks.com/), which is a general purpose tool with a
significant customer base.

"OME 2.4.0-- released Mar 7, 2005, Analysis, Matlab Handler (interface for
analysis algorithms written in Matlab) "

The use of a data standard that permits the end-user to obtain an XML file
that describes the metadata (FCS Key words) and the binary data (list-mode
or image) as separate simple files will facilitate the creation of
interfaces to general purpose tools, such as Matlab.  XML files can be
imported to many relational databases.	One does not have to be an expert
programmer to work with simple binary list-mode files (1), which are a
storage form for a simple one dimensional array of records.  Images in
standard formats, such as TIFF can be directly imported into many commercial
packages.

Bob Leif

1. R. C. Leif, CytometryML, Binary Data Standards,  in Manipulation and
Analysis of Biomolecules, Cells, and Tissues II, D. V. Nicolau, J.
Enderlein, R. C. Leif, and D. Farkas, Editors, SPIE Proceeding Vol. 5699 pp.
325-333 (2005).

  _____