Laser Licence

Icardi, Michael michael-icardi at uiowa.edu
Wed Nov 2 19:27:46 EST 2005

It is possible that you might need a license depending on where you are.
Usually though only the Laser Safety Officer (LSO) needs one.  You
should have someone already designated for this post at your
institution.  If not they will have to designate someone and then comply
with the local jurisdiction requirements for licensure.

Don't forget that having a totally enclosed beam will drop the
classification of your laser from IV (a 5 watt laser is pretty powerful)
to a Class I or II which could change your safety requirements for
operation.  For maintenance on a laser with that sort of power though
you will most likely need a LSO.  There are LSO courses available.
Like this one.	http://www.dcconferences.com.au/lcc/lsocprogram.php

Michael S. Icardi MD
Assistant Professor
Immunopathology
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics