Laser Licence

Neal Benson nbenson at ufl.edu
Wed Nov 2 18:15:16 EST 2005

Hi Leonie,

I believe it should be looked at this way: While your lasers are Class
IV (potentially hazardous and regulated), you are not operating a
"laser", you're operating a flow cytometer.  If the beams are contained
behind safety interlocks that are operating as designed by the
manufacturer and not being defeated, it becomes a Class I device which
is unregulated.

There's some more info at
http://www.laserinstitute.org/publications/safety_bulletin/laser_safety_info/

(Look down the page to where "Class1" is shown).

Regards & good luck,
Neal