Reducing background when staining with 1st and 2nd antibodies

Robin Barclay robin.barclay at ed.ac.uk
Tue Nov 1 19:41:02 EST 2005

Many "anti-mouse" antibodies sold commercially are cross reactive with other species Ig.  Make sure it is affinity purified and cross adsorbed.  Use a Fab2 fragment, if possible, to avoid Fc binding. I heard that goat complete antibodies react minimally with human Fc if you can't get a Fab2, and you can always add in some goat serum before you add your secondary conjugate (pre-add same serum as species antibody was raised in, not human serum). You don't necessarily need IgM-specific - I use an anti-Ig that will bind both IgM and IgG mouse monoclonal primaries. I had to trawl around but came up with an antibody from BioSource that met all criteria and has no non-specific binding if used without primary (my control) - the HRP conjugate of the same antibody is great for immunoblotting.  Of course, you must wash primary and secondary away completely if subsequently using other direct labelling conjugates.
Robin Barclay
Edinburgh