moflo counters

Larry Arnold lwarma at med.unc.edu
Wed Nov 2 10:33:16 EST 2005

One other issue I have not seen commented on is the type of
collection tube used.  When sorting fairly large numbers of cells
into a tube - obviously with droplets of all the same charge - use of
polystyrene collection tubes will result in fairly large losses due
to cells electrostatically sticking to the tube.  It is very
difficult in our experience to get these to come off the tube at
least to remain viable.  We had one user who kept thinking I could
not sort because he could never recover the number of cells I told
him I sorted into the tube.  He kept insisting on using
polystyrene.  Finally I got him to switch to polypropylene and "all
of a sudden" he cold recover the stated number of cells.

Larry

Larry W. Arnold, Ph.D.
Research Professor and Director, Flow Cytometry Facility
Department of Microbiology and Immunology
CB# 7290
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC 27599
Phone: 919-966-1530