fluorescence compensation (in routine applications)

David Dombkowski dombkowski at helix.mgh.harvard.edu
Fri Jun 3 10:09:31 EST 2005

Ruud,

  My compensation settings are maintained if running AB's with equal
compensation to last run on instrument. I agree that if you switch
AB's you must again recalculate or make adjustments after acquiring
new samples with past settings. I agree with Carol about differences
among tandem dyes.

Ruud,

  My experience says that a daily procedure to set up compensation is
not necessary. I have run a a fixed flow cell instrument for many
years and find the compensation settings at a fixed PMT voltage to be
identical on a day to day basis. Of course, if instrument is not
maintained appropriately one should be very concerned about
compensation settings. I find that even on an instrument such as the
Vantage SE I can use the same compensation settings daily if
instrument is maintained appropriately.

David

It's absolutely necessary, unless you can show that all tandem dyes
are the same- which they're not!  Every batch is different, and may
have a very different amount of spillover.  Add to that differences
in time spent in fixation and exposure to light, and every day is a
new adventure....

With the use of antibody capture beads, it's so easy- we don't ever
run an experiment without checking.

Carol

On Tuesday, May 31, 2005, at 06:39  AM, Ruud Hulspas wrote:

>I realize that the subject has been discussed numerous times, yet I
>still	like to bring up the following question.
>In routine applications, where the range in light scatter and
>autofluorescence of the samples is small, one can set up the flow
>cytometer with the same PMT settings every day (if nothing has
>happened to the alignment or performance of the machine). And if the
>PMT settings are the same, I assume the compensation values are the
>same (that is, one would have to use high intensity fluorescent
>samples for each fluorochrome involved during the original
>compensation procedure in order to avoid under-compensation in case,
>one day, a sample turns out to be very bright).
>In fact, if it weren't for the irrestistable urge to have 'negative'
>populations in the first decade of the log scale, one would not have
>to fiddle with the PMT settings at all, and could maybe measure all
>samples (even in non-routine applications) without having to change
>the compensation values on any modern high-dynamic range flow
>cytometer.
>Is a daily procedure to set up compensation values in routine
>applications really still necessary ?

Ruud Hulspas
--
David M. Dombkowski