FSC/SSC interpretation

Stuart Berzins berzins at unimelb.edu.au
Wed Jul 27 22:21:44 EST 2005

Hello. We are studying the function of some immunoregulatory mouse T
cell subsets by culturing splenocytes with (or without) a variety of
different stimuli for 3 days. These cells can  produce high levels of
cytokines and divide extensively. It is extremely important for us to
know whether the cells at the end of the culture are 'healthy' and
therefore, likely to have functioned normally throughout the culture
period, so that we can interpret the effects of various culture
supplements.

Our main viability test is 7-aad  (~4ug/ml) and we only include the
'most-negative' population for analysis. The 7aad-intermediate
population thought to correspond to apoptotic cells is also excluded.
How confident can we be that the 7-aad -low cells are viable and
healthy? We ask this question because there is often a high
non-viability rate in the cultures. Our primary concern is that our
culture conditions may not be optimal and that our 'viable' cells may
just be 'slow' to die and don't reflect normal function.  We are
concerned because the cultured cells usually look a bit unwell at the
end of the culture (although given the low viability rate, this is
not entirely unexpected), and because the FSC/SSC  profile of the
viable cells often show higher than normal SSC ( FSC looks normal).

Conversely, some co-workers argue that the 7aad-negative 'viable'
cells are, by definition, viable and that given their 7aad-negative
status we can safely assume that they have been healthy for the bulk
of the culture time, even if hey are starting to look a little
unusual by FSC/SSC at the end of the culture (high ssc). Is it safe
to trust 7-aad as a gold standard for viability and, or should we
incorporate additional tests?

Stuart
--
Stuart Berzins Ph.D,