FACSAria

Holmes, Kevin (NIH/NIAID) KHOLMES at niaid.nih.gov
Thu Aug 25 16:02:00 EST 2005

Hi John,
We've had one Aria running for >2 yrs and one that we just started running
within the last 3-4 months.  Overall our experience has been positive, with
the biggest issue being the nozzle, which we fixed with the "Dave Parks" fix
initially, and now with the new ceramic nozzles.  We routinely sort murine
and human T, B and Dendritic cell subsets at 30 and 70 psi.  The purities
are excellent, but are dependent upon the same factors that influence all
sorting, i.e. population resolution as determined by staining, viability,
etc.  It did take some time to establish the instrument parameters for some
of our populations, especially murine dendritic cells, but our operator, Cal
Eigsti was able to get it worked out.
We've had some other issues that were 'unique', such as a loose mirror/lens
assembly for the accudrop camera that was initially hard to diagnose as a
problem separate from the camera mount.  There have also been some problems
with the solenoid valves sticking.  It seems that it has taken BD some time
to gain experience in all of the various problems that the Aria's are
capable of producing, but they are making some progress in this regard.
I'd be happy to discuss your issues further, if you wish to call.
Kevin

Kevin L. Holmes, Ph.D.
Chief, Flow Cytometry Section
Research Technologies Branch
Bldg. 4, Room B1-38
Phone: 301-496-9071
FAX:  301-402-4532
Email: kholmes at niaid.nih.gov
NIAID, NIH, DHHS

Disclaimer:

The information in this e-mail and any of its attachments is confidential
and may contain sensitive information.	It should not be used by anyone who
is not the original intended recipient.  If you have received this e-mail in
error, please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other
storage devices.  The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
(NIAID) shall not accept liability for any statements made that are sender's
own and not expressly made on behalf of the NIAID by one of its
representatives.