vibration and optical precision

J. Paul Robinson jpr at flowcyt.cyto.purdue.edu
Tue Jun 29 17:45:22 EST 2004

On the issue of vibration....
I really dont think this is a big deal unless the trains are
running under the building! most instruments are reasonaby
resistant to external vibrations - anyway they have enough
attached computer fans to be sure they have plenty of
internal vibration !!!

Actually , the real point is dont let them put your center in
the basement....its just a borrible place to live - I know - I
have suffered from other peoples wonderful decisions to put
flow labs in the basement for 20 years....its usually because
someone tries to make a big deal of vibration or light or
something.....and I think its pretty much pointless........I feel
like a mole now..

paul robinson

On 29 Jun 2004 at 16:05, Matt Burton wrote:

> We are currently setting up a flow cytometry facility in a new building
> (apparently not as sturdy to use a poor term as our current building) and
> the issue of building vibration, and potentially those transmitted by trams
> passing outside is being repeatedly raised. I have gone through the list and it
> seems that this is not really an issue in regards to cell sorting re drop
> formation, purity etc. Certainly I haven't noticed any vibrational problems on
> our current FACStar. However what about vibration effects on optical precision
> and resolution, especially in regards linear amplification and detection of
> small and dimly fluorescent particles (eg chormosomes, smaller than human). Has
> anyone any knowledge or experience in regards to this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew Burton
> Flow Cytometry Facility
> Murdoch Childrens Research Institute