vibration and optical precision

Matt Burton matt.burton at mcri.edu.au
Tue Jun 29 01:05:26 EST 2004

We are currently setting up a flow cytometry facility in a new building
(apparently not as sturdy to use a poor term as our current building) and
the issue of building vibration, and potentially those transmitted by trams
passing outside is being repeatedly raised. I have gone through the list
and it seems that this is not really an issue in regards to cell sorting re
drop formation, purity etc. Certainly I haven't noticed any vibrational
problems on our current FACStar. However what about vibration effects on
optical precision and resolution, especially in regards linear
amplification and detection of small and dimly fluorescent particles (eg
chormosomes, smaller than human). Has anyone any knowledge or experience in
regards to this?

Cheers,

Matthew Burton
Flow Cytometry Facility