Brdu PI

Mark_KuKuruga@BD.com Mark_KuKuruga at BD.com
Fri Jun 25 17:10:22 EST 2004

Colette,
Yes, the PI is quenching the anti-BrdU-F fluorescence.	You can ameliorate
this effect by lowering the PI concentration . . . I've used 10-20 ug/ml
effectively, and you could go lower if the problem persists.  You may lose
stoichiometric staining at lower than 5 ug/ml, but this still works as a
peak marker, to find G1 vs. G2/M.
Perhaps you could do a series . . . 20, 10, 5, 1 ug/ml . . . as compared to
50 ug/ml . . . to see that DNA distribution is comparable, and then look
for the BrdU-F fluorescence to increase.  Remember that as PI concentration
decreases/increases, spectral spillover will change.  If, however, you
"normalize" (i.e., place the G1 peak in the same channel regardless of PI
concentration), the spillover correction will be similar regardless of PI
level.	Hope that's clear . . .
MAK.

Greetings from Vermont,

	      Can anyone explain why it is that Brdu Fitc positive cells
decrease from 62% to 30% after staining with PI?  Is there some sort of
quenching or do the cells need to be fixed before the PI step.		  I
am happy
to say that our student has beautiful stimulation and wonderful PI
staining, but we cannot seem to get reproducible results when we put them
together.
	      Thanks in advance for your help

Colette Charland
Research Facility Coordinator
University of Vermont
College of Medicine-Flow Cytometry Core Lab
89 Beaumont Ave.
Given C316
Burlington, VT 05405
Telephone 1-802-656-8742

This message is intended only for the designated recipient(s).	It may contain
confidential or proprietary information and may be subject to the attorney-client
privilege or other  confidentiality protections. If you are not a designated recipient,
you may not review, use, copy or distribute this message.  If you receive this in error,
please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete this message.  Thank you.