UV excitable dyes

Joanne Lannigan joannelannigan at virginia.edu
Thu Jun 24 16:24:55 EST 2004

What about Quantum Dots? They have them conjugated to SA as well as to
other secondary antibodies. They also have a kit for conjugating your
own primary antibody (although it isn't cheap). May give you better
options than those you mentioned. The problem with a lot of the other UV
excitable dyes is that there is a lot of autofluorescence in the same
emission range which makes them difficult to use unless you have very
highly expressed epitopes. The Qdots are available for longer wavelength
emissions.

Joanne Lannigan, MS
Director, Flow Cytometry Core Facility
University of Virginia