FACSAria

Derek Davies derek.davies at cancer.org.uk
Tue Jun 22 05:46:07 EST 2004

Hi Fredrik,

I have had an Aria in my Lab for just over 9 months now and most of
my comments would be favourable. I think that some of the
technological changes that BD introduced in the Aria have helped in
practical terms with my users experiments. The combination of the
early digitisation of the signal, the use of area for fluorescence
measurement, the cuvette system, the fibre-optic light collection and
the octagon/trigon arrangement of the PMTs have, in many cases, given
better signal:noise ratios than we see on our stream in air sorters
and this is especially true in the far-red end of the spectrum.

Set up is very quick and sorting is very stable; we also like the
air-cooled lasers and the (relative) quietness of the machine. We
have found that we can sort at comparable speeds to the MoFlo and
that purity and recovery and viability are all within acceptable
limits. There has been a need amongst operators to maybe think a
little more about how the signals are processed, compensated and
displayed but this is no bad thing!

On the debit side, the software could be a bit better but is
constantly being tweaked and data can be exported for subsequent
analysis in the software of your choice. The one major problem we
have had - and it is a concern although any of the BD boys reading
this will be well aware of the troubles I have had - is with nozzles.
Aside of the fact that there are only 70 and 100 micron ones
available (OK this is also influenced by the flow cell), they do tend
to degrade very quickly (at least in our hands). The practical
consequence of this is that after a period of time four way sorting
becomes impractical because of excessive fanning and (what appears to
be) insufficient charging of the outermost streams, so although a new
nozzle can be installed, we have to treat them as a disposable item
at present which is obviously not ideal. Having said that, BD are
aware of this and are in the process of doing something about it.

Hope that helps, fell free to contact me if you need any other information.
Best wishes,
Derek

>Hello
>My name is Fredrik Wallberg and I work with flow cytometry at the
>Erasmus MC in Rotterdam. I would be very grateful to receive comments
>and practical concerns about the FACSAria.
>Regards
>Fredrik Wallberg

Derek Davies					Voice: (44) 020 7269 3394
FACS Laboratory,			FAX: (44) 020 7269 3479
London Research Institute,		e_mail: derek.davies at cancer.org.uk
Cancer Research UK		mobile: 07790 604112
44 Lincolns Inn Fields, London, UK.

Web Page: http://science.cancerresearchuk.org/sci/facs/

In tenebris lux