Sorting Live Cells for Chromosomal Content?

Benny Shum benny.shum at epitomics.com
Thu Jun 3 15:06:32 EST 2004

Dear colleagues,

I am wondering if this is possible with FACS sorting -- I want to select
for hybridoma or myeloma clones with reduced chromosomal content (they
are more than 4n to start with now).  I am wondering if I could
synchronise the cells, stain the chromosomes, and sort for the end of
the curve.  The main problem is, I believe, that I would need a stain
that would get inside live cells but not kill the cells (so I could
establish cell lines afterwards).  Sorry if this is an elementary
question, I am a newbie to flow cytometry.

Thank you very much!

Benny P. Shum
Research Scientist
Epitomics, Inc.