Nonreadable FCS 3 files from Coulter FC 500 cytometer

Robert C. Leif rleif at rleif.com
Wed Jun 2 16:03:41 EST 2004

The problem is that FCS is a very loose standard, which was not based on a
requirements document. Present software engineering practices require a
requirements document, which is of great use when one is designing tests to
validate software or even in the creation of a manufacturer's compliance
statement.

The use of XML schema as the basis of a standard has the benefit that
validation tools exist for schema.  Unfortunately, progress in replacing FCS
with an XML based standard, such as CytometryML, has been slow.
Bob Leif