Azide? astall at
Wed Sep 25 13:54:59 EST 2002

In general the azide is added as a metabolic inhibitor to prevent capping,
patching and endocytosis of cell surface markers following staining.  This
does not occur with all cell surface antigens but can be a problem for
staining.  If you want to eliminate the Azide, keeping cells constantly on
ice accomplishes the same thing.

                    "Dr. Ashraf
                    Abdelhafez"           To:     Cytometry Mailing List
                    <cytometry at>
                    <asabdelhafez@        cc:
          >            Subject:     Azide?

                    09/25/02 05:28

Hi All:

Does anybody have a conclusive answer to why azide is added to staining
buffer. I have found information that says that it functions to inhibit
microbial growth. I have found that it can be used to stop reactions. I
have found people recommending not to use in certain experiment because it
can alter protein function.  And I have found people saying that you do not
need to put if you are going to analyze the cells within hours. But I was
not able to find information on that exact reason for adding it to staining

I would like to hear what you have. Only what you believe is a conclusive
answer is accepted.

Do you Yahoo!?