Azide?

Dr. Ashraf Abdelhafez asabdelhafez at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 25 07:28:58 EST 2002

Hi All:

Does anybody have a conclusive answer to why azide is added to staining buffer. I have
found information that says that it functions to inhibit microbial growth. I have found
that it can be used to stop reactions. I have found people recommending not to use in
certain experiment because it can alter protein function.  And I have found people saying
that you do not need to put if you are going to analyze the cells within hours. But
I was not able to find information on that exact reason for adding it to staining buffer.

I would like to hear what you have. Only what you believe is a conclusive answer
is accepted.

Thanks,

Ashraf