Luminescent Metals responses

Richard Haugland richard.haugland at probes.com
Fri Mar 29 15:33:49 EST 2002

We already make highly luminescent beads that have europium and platinum
inside them that have huge Stokes shifts and can be easily excited in the
UV; however, I doubt that they (or any other long-lifetime metal-coated
bead) would be very useful for flow because their emission rates are so
slow that one will be lucky to get one photon out during the transit
time.

They have decay times of >40 microseconds for the platinum microspheres
and >600 microseconds  for the europium microspheres.

Figure 6.45 Excitation and emission spectra of the FluoSpheres platinum
luminescent microspheres (F-20886, F-20887, F-20888, F-20889, F-20890,
F-20891).

[Image]

Figure 6.44 Fluorescence excitation and emission maxima of the
FluoSpheres europium luminescent microspheres (F-20880, F-20881, F-20882,
F-20883, F-20884, F-20885).

[Image]