Counting murine monocytes in blood

Simon Watson simon.watson at ed.ac.uk
Wed Mar 27 06:23:02 EST 2002

Dear Colleagues

Some coworkers in my lab would like to count mouse monocytes in peripheral whole blood using flow cytometry.  They tried this using a cytometer (in the local teaching hospital) that was setup for human blood but had no success.

Is it possible to gate for murine moncytes on FSC/SSC or is a fluorochrome-labeled antibody system required?

I presume for absolute and comparative enumeration it would be best to use fluorescent beads as a counting standard.  Do you agree?

If anyone could suggest a method or guide us to a reference paper we'd be very grateful.

Best wishes

Simon Watson

Phagocyte Lab
MRC Centre for Inflammation Research