PKC inhibition of intracellular cytokine production in whole blood

Richard Darley Darley at CF.AC.UK
Fri Mar 8 04:51:13 EST 2002

Patrizia

I have had similar problems with Calphostin C in studying the role of PKC on
differentiation of haematopoietic cells.  In the course of these experiments
I came across a report which claimed that the action of this inhibitor was
light dependent making this an uncontrolled variable in most peoples
experiments.  I was unable to find confirmation of this, but I did get much
more reproducible results with an alternative inhibitor, GF109203X (1-2 uM).

R. F. Bruns, F. D. Miller, R. L. Merriman, J. J. Howbert, W. F. Heath, E.
Kobayashi, I. Takahashi, T. Tamaoki, and H. Nakano. Inhibition of protein
kinase C by calphostin C is light-dependent. Biochem.Biophys.Res.Commun. 176
(1):288-293, 1991.

Dr Richard Darley Ph.D
Department of Haematology A7
University of Wales College of Medicine