Murine red blood cells

Oberdan LEO oleo at dbm.ulb.ac.be
Mon Mar 4 15:56:59 EST 2002

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions concerning murine red blood cells. We have generated a mAb to a cytoplasmic protein most probably expressed by both mature lymphoid cells and erythrocytes. We would like to demonstrate its presence in red blood cells by staining the protein intracellularly. Two questions:

1. I had problems locating a good intracellular staining protocol for red blood cells, as these cells seem to be easily lysed upon fixation. Does anyone has a protocol ?

2. We plan on staining peripheral blood cells using TER-119 and gate on PI-negative, TER-119-positive, small cells. Is this a sufficient criteria to unequivocally identify red blood cells ?  Any comments ?

Sorry for to bother you with somehow basic questions, but having spent so many years trying to get read of these cells, we now have to learn how to play with them....

Greetings,

Oberdan

Oberdan LEO
Laboratoire de Physiologie Animale