dye laser details

Theodore Heise theise at netins.net
Fri Jan 18 18:16:49 EST 2002

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Gerstein, Rachel wrote:

> Could someone explain how the tuneable part of the dye laser works ?
> What is being altered such that different wavelengths result ?

The way I understand it is that the fluorphore emits a fairly broad band
of radiation.  One end of the resonating cavity consists of a tunable
element (an etalon, grating, or prism) that selects a narrow portion of
the light for reflection back into the cavity and amplification into the
resulting laser emission.  The specific wavelength can be selected by
moving (e.g., rotating) the tunable element.

--
Ted Heise      <theise at netins.net>      West Lafayette, IN, USA