Virus (WORM_KLEZ.E)

Nebe-Von-Caron, G g.nebe-von-caron at unipath.com
Wed Aug 21 12:42:08 EST 2002

[Coordinator's note: I don't usually send out messages unrelated to cytometry, but	]
[with the massive number of e-mail viruses being spread around, this is timely, and	]
[helpful, so here it is.								]

Due to my change of job I have a new email address. However I have already received a couple of email messages containing the worm Klez.e. I suspect this to come from a user of the list who stores claudieh at miltenyibiotec.de as I also got a return mails from this address with the subject "for information" which I have not send as well as other mails with different subjects.

Whilst I have a virus checker at work and at home I realise that a lot of people do not. As a not completely efficient but still possible way to stop some e-mail worms that use your outlook address book, it is worthwhile to introduce an invalid address !0000 in your addressbook that stops them in their track. It works well for the worms that read your addressbook in alphabetic order. You might even add a couple of random	invalid addresses to stop some of the random address selecting selecting ones from doing too much damage.

See http://www.cyberwalker.net/columns/oct01/041001.html for further info.

Regards

Gerhard