Elaine Kunze mek4 at
Thu Jul 26 12:40:55 EST 2001

[ Coordinator's note:  I don't usually pass on virus warnings to the list because it's
[ strictly speaking, off topic.  I want to make an exception here because this is a very
[ fast-spreading virus, with possibly serious consequences.  I was about to write up a
[ warning, when I found that Elaine has done a much better job than I would have, so I'll
[ just send out her message.  Thanks, Elaine!
[ I'll only add that Norton, at has a free
[ tool that specifically removes this virus, which is listed as 'W32.Sircam.Worm at mm'
[   Steve Kelley

I was infected with a computer virus, described below which inadvertently
and unknown to me sent out messages to random folks from my saved
mailboxes.  Do not open it.

The content of the e-mail reads:

         Hi! How are you?

         I send you this file in order to have your advice

         See you later. Thanks

The e-mail includes an attachment, which contains the virus. I did not open
the attachment, so my computer is not affected, but I wanted to warn you.

P.S. Here is a notice about the virus, which ran on the Employee NewsWire

The SirCam virus, an executable file that arrives via e-mail and propagates
by sending itself to users found in the victim's e-mail address book files,
has been spreading throughout the University's e-mail system. This
"worm-virus" primarily affects those users with Windows e-mail clients. It
also affects non-Windows users by flooding "In" boxes and "Attachment"
folders/directories with large numbers of infected documents.

Do not open any e-mail attachment unless you are expecting the file and
know it is from a reliable source, especially if you are using a Windows
e-mail software package.

If you receive mail that you believe contains a virus, or you think your
machine may already be infected with a virus, contact the Center for
Academic Computing (CAC) Help Desk at (814) 863-1035 or (814) 863-2494.
General information and guidance on viruses can also be found on the CAC
Virus Information and News Web site at

Detailed information on this virus from the CERT Coordination Center can be
found at and on the
Wired News Web site at,1282,45506,00.html.

For the full text of the virus alert, check the CAC Web site at