Monocyte Marker

Timothy Singleton, M.D. tsingleton at
Fri Jul 13 07:24:37 EST 2001

Is CD163 bound to GPI?  Could it be used to isolate monocytes for analysis of paroxysmal
nocturnal hemoglobinuria?

Tim Singleton, MD
William Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI

>>> "Bruce Davis" <DAVISB at> 07/12/01 08:33AM >>>

In addition to the below, CD64 is a good monocyte marker (although is unregulated on
PMNs in sepsis or a systemic acute inflammatory response.  CD163 is the only monocyte
specific marker I am aware of and in a preliminary study we have found this detects more
monocytes than CD14 does.  One source of both CD64 and CD163 is Maine Biotechnology
Services (  The best method for counting monocytes may
well be a combinations of CD14, CD64, and CD163.

Bruce H. Davis, M.D.
Maine Medical Center Research Institute
81 Research Drive
Scarborough, Maine  04074

PHONE: 207-885-8113
FAX: 207-885-8110
Email:  davisb at

>>> Maciej Simm <simmmmer at> 07/10/01 06:12PM >>>

Amy, I don't know any markers that will stain _only_ monocytes.

Here are some we use:

CD4, (easily shed upon activation, also expressed on T cells)
CD11c (but also B cells from HCL patients)
*CD14, (stains poly's too)
*CD33, (except after PMA activation, also stains granulocytes)
CD68, (not very exclusive to monocytes, esp. in intracellular work)
CD74, (but rather macrophages)

I also found some funky mono/myelo CD markers here:

some other helpful links:

I've been campaigning monocyte "definition" on this group before and
decided to use at least 2 fluorescent markers and side scatter as a
minimum criteria (ex. CD14and/or33 + CD45 + SSC).

I find the "legacy" method (ie. side scatter vs. CDXX) does not work
as well in activated cells.

The most important thing however is to pick one staining protocol and
stick to it :)

Good luck,

|    Maciej S. Simm      | 525 E 68th Street  |
|  Research Technician   | Room N-805         |
| Cornell Medical Center | Tel. 212.746.3428  |
| | 917-734-6280 | AIM - XsimmX |

Do You Yahoo!?