bronchial lavages

Rees Beth beth.rees at dchs.tas.gov.au
Fri Sep 22 01:51:26 EST 2000

Hi Flowers

Here's one for the clinical flow cytometrists - how do you separate the
cells from a slimy snotty goopy bronchial lavage ( have I totally put off
the non-clinical cytometrists yet?).  I have tried diluting it and flushing
it through a 100um filter, but as soon as I centrifuge it the gunk just
condenses again.
The microbiologists use something called mucolyse (dithiothreitol) which
reduces mucoprotein disulphide bonds, but I'm a bit scared to use this in
case it interferes with the cell surface in any way.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

beth.