immunophenotyping of plasma cells in MGUS patients

Anja Porwit Anja.Porwit at ks.se
Wed Sep 20 02:22:25 EST 2000

Hello,
we have this kind of request from time to time, mainly in patients with
monoclonal gammapathy and approx. 8-10% of plasma cells in BM smears. We
use two basic triple stainings: CD38/F/CD56PE/CD19TRI and
cylambdaF/cykappaF/CD138, where we use Intra-Stain from Dako for cyt.Ig. We
acquire 50.000 events and during analysis gate on CD38bright in the first
tube and on CD138 in the second. Then we look for the normal vs
pathological plasma cells and for kappa/lambda ratio.
kind regards
Anna

At 11:27 2000-09-19 -0400, you wrote:

>I recently came across the article published in the AM J Pathol (1998,
>152:1655-1665) by Ocqueteau et al regarding the immunophenotype of plasma
>cells from monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance.  The
>following questions are for those of you that work in a clinical setting.
>
>Do you receive requests for typing (by flow cytometry) plasma cells in bone
>marrow  of patients with MGUS?
>Do you offer the service?
>If so what protocol do you fallow?
>
>I will greatly appreciate your assistance.
>
>Leonel W. Edwards, MD.
>Assistant Medical Director
>Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
>Danbury Hospital

Anna Porwit
Hematopathology Lab.
Department of Pathology