Neutrophil Acitivation

Chad Brouse brouse at utsw.swmed.edu
Mon Sep 11 10:58:26 EST 2000

We are looking CD 11b expression on neutrophils during cardiopulmonary
bypass surgery. At various times during the surgery, the neutrophils are
exhibiting bimodal expression which is evident in the histogram of CD 11b
positive events. We suggest this represents two distinct populations of
neutrophils that are expressing CD 11b. My two questions are:

1. Why are the neutrophils showing bimodal expression.

2. Which population of neutrophils should we gate on, if not both populations.

Thanks,

Chad Brouse