phytoplankton cell clumping

John Mahoney John.Mahoney at NOAA.gov
Tue Mar 7 15:58:53 EST 2000

I'm using an immunofluorescence procedure and microscope to count field
samples of picoplankton cells, 2-3 um diameter, (Aureococcus
anophagefferens "brown tide").  Clumping of cells or embedding of cells
in detritus can result in a big error.  I've tried several detergents to
separate the cells; Aquet at 2% is best so far; gentle vortex mixing in
combination with detergent also helps.  Aureococcus excretes
mucopolysaccharide.  I'd appreciate advice on separation of the
glutaraldehyde-fixed but relatively delicate cells.  Thank you, John
Mahoney