Cell clumps.

Newsom, Brian S. bsnewsom at msmail.his.tch.tmc.edu
Fri Jun 26 11:14:00 EST 1998

Bill,

At least part of the problem is almost certainly biological. We have had
similar problems with skin fibroblasts and other large adherent lines.
The best thing is to go ahead and have them resuspended in media instead
of PBS. The phenol red may cause minor problems but nothing compared to
the problems the clumping can cause. The other thing we do is that
instead of filtering these cells we let them sit for about 5 min. and
then pull off what has not settled, we seem to get better recovery than
using the filters and what is left in suspension doesn't seem to clump as
bad. There maybe something biologically different about these cells that
causes them to settle that may be interesting, but that's another problem
in itself. Like you said keep everything cold, if you don't have a
chiller for the sample block you may want to look into it, they help a
great deal for some cell types. The one thing that sounds funny is the
coincidence rate, it seems to high for a MoFlo at that speed. You may
want to post that part on the MUG list and see what others have to say
about it.

Brian Newsom
Center for Cell and Gene Therapy
Baylor College of Medicine