alexa 594 vs. Texas Red

Justin Fishbaugh justin-fishbaugh at uiowa.edu
Wed Dec 23 16:08:11 EST 1998

Greetings,

Back in November I inquired about using Alexa 594 in place of Texas Red and
the responses were very favorable.  Since then, an investigator has
purchased a kit from Molecular Probes and directly conjugated Alexa 594 to
mouse anti-CD4.  In a direct comparison between the same CD4 antibody
conjugated with either Texas Red or Alexa 594, we saw a 5.6 fold increase
in separation between the CD4 negatives and positives using the Alexa 594
conjugated antibody.  No adjustments to the instrument were made between
the two samples.  We used a dye laser tuned to 600nm at 400mW to excite
both fluorochromes and the same optical filters.  As others have alluded,
it looks like this is pretty good stuff.  We'll be encouraging folks here
to make the switch.  I have attached two GIF files for comparison.