FACSflow

Heidi Engelhardt hengel at APS.UoGuelph.CA
Thu Aug 27 13:27:39 EST 1998

While we are on this subject, can anyone tell me the difference
between Coulter's Isoton and Isoflow?

I routinely use Isoflow on an analytical flow cytometer.  Recently I
have been trying to sort some cells on a different (also Coulter)
machine.  Since I wasn't going to culture them (all I wanted was a
smear ... so simple I thought), I didn't worry about what I was
sorting them into.  They had Isoton but not Isoflow on hand (they
work with plants, maybe that makes the difference?), so we sorted
into that.  For both attempts, the cells looked terrible - maybe
osmotic damage?  I checked the formulation of Isoton - looks like
ordinary PBS-EDTA with the addition of NaFl (preservative?).  I
haven't been over to the other machine to check the formulation of
Isoflow.

Thanks!

Heidi Engelhardt
Department of Animal and Poultry Science
University of Guelph
Guelph, Ontario
CANADA N1G 2W1

phone:  519-824-4120, ext. 3658 or 8355