log-fsc x log-ssc vs lin-fsc x lin-fsc and FL1

Janssen, William janssen at Moffitt.usf.edu
Thu Aug 20 14:17:30 EST 1998

We have just completed, using a Facscalibur, analysis of the presence of
a genetically engineered surface marker on renal carcinoma cells.

Because a log-ssc x log-fsc representation gave a nice cluster of
events, we used those scales to acquire. But to our dismay, when
examining the FL1 histogram, it appeared that no cells were expressing
the protein being stained for. Subsequent acquisition using linear
scales for both fsc and ssc, showed substantial staining on the same
cells.

We are at a loss to account for why this should be so. Anybody out there
have an idea? Anybody at B-D want to explain?

Thnx Vry Mch!!!

William E. Janssen, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
University of South Florida / H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center
12902 Magnolia Drive, Tampa, FL 33612, U.S.A.
phone: 1-813-979-7202; fax 1-813-979-3071