cool job opportunity
mark.prausnitz at che.gatech.edu
Mon Aug 10 16:56:40 EST 1998
Dear Flow Cytometrists,
I am writing to alert you to an incredible job opportunity, if you are up for
it. ORBIS International is a non-profit organization that teaches eye surgery
to physicians, nurses, and biomedical engineers in developing countries. They
have a DC-10 airplane which has been converted into a full-service eye surgery
facility -- the only flying eye hospital in the world. There are biomedical
engineers who fly with the plane to provide support and to teach (I had this
job for a year). The present job opportunity is to be the boss of these
engineers and to direct the biomedical engineering activities from ORBIS's New
York office. The job would also involve travel to third world countries.
A description of the job is below. Contact Jim Herb at ORBIS
<jim at ny.orbis.org> for more information.
- Mark Prausnitz
ORBIS INTERNATIONAL INC.
TITLE: DIRECTOR, BIOMEDICAL DEPARTMENT: PROGRAM
ENGINEERING SERVICES OPERATIONS
REPORTS TO: VICE PRESIDENT OF DATE: June 11, 1998
As the Head of Biomedical Engineering Services Department, responsible to
design and implement strategies aimed at empowering ORBISs in-country
to develop and maintain a technical infrastructure which will support
in-country blindness prevention activities. Oversees the development and
refinement of communications systems which will enhance the training
methodologies of all ORBISs programs, and provide direction in the design and
implementation of biomedical engineering programs worldwide.
1. Develops a global information network designed to maximize all
emerging communications systems in order to increase decision-makers in
developing countries awareness of and access to information about the
acquisition/design and maintenance of appropriate equipment and supplies.
2. Closely collaborates with other NGOs and for profit corporations to
compile and synthesize global resources that support the development of a
global information network.
3. Collaborates with the Program Development Unit to develop and
the technical components of all long and short-range country programs.
4. Designs, implements and evaluates all biomedical engineering programs
conducted with and without the ORBIS aircraft to include the development of
culturally appropriate learning objectives and evaluations.
5. Develops, implements and evaluates a system for the acquisition and
donation of appropriate equipment to support host country programs.
6. Develops, implements and evaluates a system for the procurement,
and maintenance of equipment to support all plane program activities
7. Provides support to ORBIS host countries in the design and set-up of
engineering departments in hospitals
8. Provides support to ORBIS host countries in the development of formal
medical engineering departments in universities or other educational
institutions as appropriate
9. Provides operational support to the biomedical engineers on the board
DC-10 to ensure the efficient implementation of the training programs
conducted aboard the aircraft
10. Conducts annual internal review to develop goals, objectives for the
unit, and oversees the annual budget
11. Oversees the functions of Media Services and Information Systems
12. Creates and maintains an excellent working relationship and
collaboration with all departments.
13. Undertakes periodic travel to ORBISs offices or program sites as part
of fulfilling the above job responsibilities
DIRECT REPORTS INCLUDE:
MANAGER of MEDIA SERVICES and MANAGER of INFORMATION SYSTEMS
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
1. Bachelors degree in Biomedical Engineering is required, masters
2. Minimum of five (5) years progressively responsible managerial
experience in the
Biomedical field to ensure a thorough familiarity with the design and
implementation of surgical support systems.
3. Previous international experience working in developing countries
4. Proven ability to compile and develop informational resources
5. Minimum five years progressive managerial expertise in directing a
6. Excellent communication skills both oral and written, strong
7. Prior demonstrated expertise in staff training and development
8. Prior experience in core curriculum development highly desirable in
More information about the Cytometry