"FACS"

TRAGANOS FRANK FRANK_TRAGANOS at nymc.edu
Mon Aug 10 10:08:51 EST 1998

I generally do not get involved in these type of discussions.
Nevertheless, it has been my experience in reviewing hundreds of papers
using flow cytometry that the use of "FACS" is directly proportional to
the ignorance of the authors in all things having to do with flow
cytometry.  They often do not know what FACS stands for (not itself a
reason for condemnation) but use it anyway.  Generally, it is the same
people who forget to label the axis on their histograms etc. Clearly,
even when using a BD FACS instrument it is more informative to state
that once and continue by using "sorter", "flow cytomter", etc.  Those
using simple analyzers should forget they ever head of the acronym.  But
that just my opinion.
Frank Traganos
Brander Cancer Research Institute
New York Medical College