Optimal sheath fluid for cell sorting

Dennis J. Young djyoung at UCSD.Edu
Fri Aug 7 10:57:35 EST 1998

The sheath is not the problem. You can use WATER as sheath because the
cells are focused by the sheath only where the sample is injected
(nanoseconds). Water just doesn't charge well!
Depending on your fluorescence detection, you can use culture media warmed
to 37C for you sample if you wanted!

We use serum-free RPMI (WITH phenol red) for FITC/PE/PE-Cy5 three-color
cloning (among other set-ups). The sample tube is held at 4C with water
jacket.
One investigator found his cells lasted better at 20C in PBS with BSA!

At 09:14 AM 8/6/98 +0100, you wrote:

>To: cyto-inbox
>cc:
>From:     Simon Q Rice @ SB_PHARM_RD
>Date:     06-Aug-98 09:14:23 AM
>Subject:  Optimal sheath fluid for cell sorting
>Categories:
>
>Dear Flowers,
>A question for the cell sorters amongst you.....
>
>I am sorting cultured cells into 96-well plates (wells containing
>appropriate culture medium) and am currently using PBS as a sheath fluid.
>Experience tells me that cultured cells aren't too keen on PBS for long
>periods of time and I wondered if this could have a deleterious effect on
>the cells.  Therefore, what alternative sheath fluid, if any, would you
>recommend?
>
>Apologies if this is a naive question.
>
>Thank you in anticipation
>
>Simon
>

>-- End --

--->    Dennis

Dennis J. Young			Voice : (619) 822-0407
Flow Cytometry Core Facility	FAX   : (619) 822-0412
University of California, San Diego  USA	e-mail: djyoung at ucsd.edu
	http://www-core.ucsd.edu/flow-core.html