"FACS"

Kerry Oliver kgo at luminexcorp.com
Fri Aug 7 08:04:57 EST 1998

Let's add another twist to this story.  After discussing this with my wife,
a scientific copy editor by trade, the use of the registration mark or
trademark actually depends upon the journal and their specific rules.  One
of the bibles for copy editors is the The Chicago Manual of Style which
states "the symbols (r) and (tm), which often accompany registered trademark
names .... need not be used in running text".  Additionally, the American
Medical Association Manual of Style states a similar usage.

Now let's hear from any lawyers out there who probably have a different
opinion.

Kerry Oliver