Optimal sheath fluid for cell sorting

Steve G. Hilliard steve at habanero.cb.uga.edu
Fri Aug 7 08:11:03 EST 1998

Simon,

This was one of our concerns, but our calculations indicated that
each drop would contain a fraction of a microliter (1/20th?), so
if you're doing single cell sorts for cloning the volume of PBS you're
adding to your media should be insignificant.  If you're sorting higher
numbers then it might add up, but with a cushion of 100-200ul of media
you're still talking a 1:100 ratio.

You could sort into media w/ higher than normal serum content if you're
really concerned, but I would not expect problems.  The main problem is
that cells don't grow well when they're lonely! ;-(

Good luck,
Steve

    Steve G. Hilliard                  flowman at uga.edu
       University of Georgia Cell Analysis Facility
             http://floweb.cb.uga.edu/Floweb/